Insect Sting Allergy & Anaphylaxis
Venom Immunotherapy & Desensitization
The majority of people that are stung have what is considered a “normal” reaction. A normal reaction to a stinging insect includes swelling, redness and pain at the site of the sting itself. Sometimes a larger, though still localized reaction can occur, which causes swelling sometimes to an entire limb from one sting. Again this is still considered a normal reaction. Occasionally, these larger reactions can persist and may need medical treatment.
Rarely, someone stung can have a severe and even life-threatening reaction, known as anaphylaxis. This can occur within minutes of the sting. In that case, emergency treatment with epinephrine is necessary.
Our office can test for an allergy to stinging insects (honey bee, wasp, yellow jacket, & hornets) and also to fire ants. If you had a severe reaction & are found to be allergic, we also offer venom immunotherapy (desensitization). This is a very effective treatment which can markedly reduce a subsequent reaction from occurring.